[time-nuts] GPS frequency uncertainty

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jul 10 15:53:23 UTC 2019

Hi

The whole clock error / orbit error thing can be corrected after the fact with data from
various agencies. It impacts survey work at least as much as timing. Looking at it that
way, it does not really present a hard limit.

The “what’s the frequency limit?” question depends on just what you mean by frequency. Is it the
phase change over a second? ( = a one second counter gate time). In that case you are
closer to the ppb range than ppt.

Is it 50% of the time, 90% of the time or 99% of the time? Each step you take makes things look a
bit worse. There (effectively) is no "100% of the time” answer to the question.  ADEV was
invented to some degree because this had people very much tied up in knots “back in the day”.

Do you average your readings in some way (like to get them on a frequency vs time plot)? That will impact what
you “see” as the answer ( = 86,000 data points don’t fit  on a normal monitor screen … or printed page).

Lots of qualifiers ….

Bob