[time-nuts] Used Hydrogen Maser

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jul 10 17:55:07 UTC 2019

FWIW, about 20 years ago, Len Cutler and Robin Giffard of 5071A fame
built several Hg ion clocks to be shipped to some govt customer I
don't remember.  One of the clocks was dropped by the shipping company
UPS or FedEX) and destroyed.  Only then did Len learn that HP was
self insured, probably as part of a package deal to get a low
corporate shipping rate.  HP products were packed extremely well, so
the only real risk was the unit getting stolen.  I vaguely remember
Len saying they were out $10K, which was probably just the cost of
parts.  Nevertheless, it didn't seem like building an Hg clock was
all that big of a project.  Way simpler than the 5071A.
Now a days, the electronics would be considerably easier and cheaper.
The mechanical parts would all be CNC'ed by an online machine shop.

Rick N6RK