[time-nuts] Used Hydrogen Maser

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jul 10 20:16:16 UTC 2019

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> I wonder what it would cost to build a trapped Hg ion clock - I don't  think
> it's $10M, but it might be in the range of $500k-1M if you pay  people to do
> the work.  Things like the quadrupole trap and ion sources  are catalog
> items.

If you are lucky, you might get the labor for free.

The Computer History Museum has working IBM 1401s including card readers,
printers, and tape drives.  The restoration was all done by volunteer labor.
They collected a handful of retired IBM fix-it guys and arranged for them to
get together once a week.

There is probably a good PhD thesis in there.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.