[time-nuts] AN/URQ-10A standard docs

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 14:05:30 UTC 2019

The URQ 10 was a reference that drove a distribution system that then
provided the receivers and transmitters with a very stable reference. These
were used with the T827 and R1051 synthesized radios. If the radio was off
by 1 hz something was wrong. If the signal wasn't heard it wasn't there.
Not because the radio was off frequency. On the ship I was on we had 3 HF
2KW +transmitters and 20 R1051s. Circa 1973. A r1051 at the time was
$27,000.
These radios did have a oven reference that was ok nothing like the URQ10.
One of the maintenance procedures was to zero beat the internal to the
external reference every month.
Just in case the URQ 10s went missing.
Thats my bit of history.
Regards