[time-nuts] Used Hydrogen Maser, and Mercury Stored-Ion Clocks

Demetrios Matsakis dnmyiasou at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 20:43:11 UTC 2019

For what it’s worth, the mercury ion clocks were shipped to the US Naval Observatory.  HP shortly thereafter did a market survey and concluded there was not enough profit in it.   They did allow Len and Robin to give short-answer support, and the project fell to me.   I found the clocks were not performing well due to sudden vacuum-contamination events.   Len, Robin, and I published our data in the proceedings of the 1995 Frequency Control Symposium.  At about the same time, JPL came up with a second generation design.   They kept improving it, and 20 years later this is now the Deep Space Atomic Clock, which was just launched.  See https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/tdm/clock/index.html <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/tdm/clock/index.html>  and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Atomic_Clock <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Atomic_Clock>

As for costs for an unit that is not space-qualified, I would guess you still need a lab with PhD’s and skilled technicians because I doubt much of the hardware is commercially available.

Demetrios Matsakis, as of this Saturday a USNO retiree, and as of August 1 a consultant for Masterclock.