Leo Bodnar leo at leobodnar.com
Fri Jul 12 08:24:53 UTC 2019

From: Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org>
>>> ... An SC has a lower Q than an AT of similar size
>>> and design up to the point acoustic Q losses completely take over.
>>> If you are talking about sub 20 MHz OCXO?s with ?doable? crystal
>>> package sizes, the AT will have the higher Q by a significant margin.
>>
>> Could you please back up this claim with verifiable facts?
>
> Order up a few 5 MHz 3rd overtones in HC-40 packages and see what you get.
> You also could send in an RFQ for a batch of each to any of the people who make them
> and see what comes back.
> Bob

Here is a random selection of links to back my point of view that, if you have noticed, contradicts Bob's.
If anybody is interested they will find information themselves without much effort.  I suggest printed books if you don't trust Internet at large.

http://www.crovencrystals.com/croven_pdf/Old%20Spec%20Sheets/croven_catalogue.pdf (Croven Crystals is Wenzel company)
The main advantages of these resonators, and in particular the SC-cut type are:
higher Q-factor (typically 10 - 15% better than equivalent AT-cut resonators)

https://www.tfc.co.uk/pdfs/SC_cut_crystals_article_TFC.pdf
SC cut family of quartz crystals:
Other key characteristics include Higher Q factor

https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/AT-cut-vs-SC-cut-quartz-crystal.html
Specification:Q factor
AT cut: lower
SC cut: higher (it will achieve low phase noise)

http://members.femto-st.fr/sites/femto-st.fr.patrice-salzenstein/files/content/Peer-review-journal/smdo160017.pdf
SC-cut
It has faster higher Q, warm-up speed and better phase noise close to the carrier.

http://www.resonal.com/Downloads/John%20R.%20Vig%20-%20tutorial%20on%20Quartz%20Crystals%20and%20Oscillators.pdf
Advantages of the SC-cut:
Higher Q for fundamental mode resonators of similar geometry

http://www.mtronpti.com/sites/default/files/files/crystal-resonator-terminology.pdf
A typical 10 MHz, 3rdovertone SC may have a Q of 1.0 to 1.3 million;
a 100 MHz, 5th overtone AT may have a Q of 80 to 100 thousand,
while a 100 MHz AT fundamental would be much lower, in the range of 20 to 50 thousand.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1290592# (MptronPTI)
Since SC-cuts have a much higher Q-factor than AT-cuts, SC-based OCXOs offer better noise performance from 1-Hz offset to 1,000-Hz offset.

Worryingly, I have started receiving unpleasant personal emails from list members suggesting that I do not question factual correctness of other's opinions.
This will explain why I am going off the list for the sake of everyone's good.

Leo Bodnar