[time-nuts] High accuracy temp controller ckt

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 12 22:13:55 UTC 2019

Hi

Airlines tend to have issues with various battery types as well. Not clear
what the rules are on “powered up in the hold” are. My guess is that ground
transportation gets the nod pretty quickly.

TEC’s are good for some limited temperature delta and then you need to go to
cascaded “layers” of them. In cascade, the power requirements just go up and up.
If your shipping container could be on a hot runway / parking lot or in an un-heated
hold at  40,000 feet ….. the design could get really “interesting”.

A whole other set of questions might reasonably be asked about pressure,
humidity, shock and vibration. No idea about the answers on a precision resistor.
On other devices they certainly *do* pop up.

One traditional answer for things like running Cs standards was to have a
“minder” (or two or three) accompany the device on it’s trip to the destination
lab. It traveled as close to them as practical ( = in the passenger compartment)
to minimize the issues. That also made hooking it to power while in transit
a bit easier. Even with that level of pampering, the story seems to be that the
trip was not always successful.

Bob