[time-nuts] Galileo service currently degraded

Kevin Croissant kevin at kevincroissant.com
Sat Jul 13 05:45:05 UTC 2019

Hi Luciano,

Yes this is typically the case. GPS is the most reliably good system
currently. When the Galileo system is working nominally and the geometry
over our antenna is good (remember, the constellation is not yet complete),
the single frequency performance easily rivals GPS. BeiDou will likely be
similar once the constellation is finished, assuming they don't
intentionally degrade the civilian signals over non-Chinese regions.
GLONASS, well that's another case altogether.

Keep in mind the limitations of the website's data collection - single
frequency "professional grade" receivers which do not perform carrier-phase
or any kind of satellite based corrections/augmentations (SBAS, etc). If
the receivers were more sophisticated and in another region, the story may
be different. If anyone wants to set up a similar monitoring system in
another part of the world, let me know, I would be very interested in that.

Kevin

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:05 AM timeok at timeok.it <timeok at timeok.it> wrote:

>    Looking at the data it seems that GPS is the best system among the
> four, correct?
>
>    Luciano
>

>    Da "time-nuts" time-nuts-bounces at lists.febo.com
>    A "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
> time-nuts at lists.febo.com
>    Cc
>    Data Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:29:10 -0400
>    Oggetto Re: [time-nuts] Galileo service currently degraded
>    I built this website as my senior design project last year,
> unfortunately
>    there's no timing data (except for tdop) being logged but you can see
> the
>    impact. Data is collected with four ublox m8n receivers, one per
>    constellation.
>
>    Galileo data from last 1 week:
>    https://gnssperformancemonitor.com/viewdata.php?constellation=2×pan=1
>
>    Kevin
>
>    On Fri, Jul 12, 2019, 4:06 PM Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
> wrote:
>
>    >
>    >
>    > > Galileo service is currently degraded, see:
> https://www.gsc-europa.eu/
>    > > notice-advisory-to-galileo-users-nagu-2019025
>    >
>    > Thanks.
>    >
>    > Is anybody monitoring a Galileo-only setup to see how far off the
> timing
>    > drifts?
>    >
>    >