[time-nuts] Efratom MFS system Questions

Walter Shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Fri Jul 19 20:21:54 UTC 2019

I got a nice system a while back (Modular System *808-400-14*) with both
rubidium and crystal oscillators.
I am getting some faults showing up, and need some insight into system
operation and how to fix it.

I got all the docs on the FEBO site which were very helpful, but they do
have have answers to my most pressing questions. These are issues I am
trying to solve:

*MBF front and rear modules:* The front unit (no jacks, only a fault
light) seems to be what sets the division for rear buffers (yes/no?)
however, I cannot see any relationship to the alphanumeric part numbers
in the FEBO docs, and the all numeric parts numbers on the actual units.
Is there anything explaining what module number is what type?  Can the
rear buffers be of different types, for say 5Mhz, 10Mhz, etc. all in one
frame, or does the front MBF module set the *only* frequency available?
I am getting a fault light on the front unit, and back ones are
outputting a varying (wrong) frequency.  the rear buffers are nominally
5Mhz, can I make them 10Mhz through any mods?  seems like it should be
possible if I had the manual for this module type.
*
**MXO Crystal Oscillator module:* How is this adjusted?  I can see no
access, and it is off frequency. I can't imagine a way to set it out of
the frame, so it feels like a way must be possible to do it while
installed, but what is it? I found the info for adjusting the Rubidium,
so I feel it must be out there somewhere.

*Is there any hope of manuals for any modules?* *How about connector
maps or frame drawings?* Efratom became Symmetricom, then Microsemi, and
now everything MFS related seems to be lost. Two days of web searching
did not turn up anything useful, so I am hoping someone has info on the
list they are wiling to share. *Any chance of module extender cables?**
*
any help appreciated, as this is a wonderful unit that cries out to be
fully operational in my lab. I am happy to send parts from two *Efratom
1PPS Drawers* I have (with *MDP/MPS/BFM/ACI* Modules-black in color,
probably not compatible with the MFS units) to anybody that has useful
info or parts to share.

all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2
Sphere Research Corp. 3394 Sunnyside Rd.