[time-nuts] Timelab and GPIB, Aglient and Prologix adapter

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 19:25:00 UTC 2019

I am in process of purchasing HP8370.  My intent was to use it along with TIMELAB via GPIB.

Oddly enough, TIMELAB documentation mentions "National Instruments NI488.2 compatible GPIB adapters", Prologix GPIB-USB and Prologix GPIB-Ethernet, but NOT Agilent/HP/82357B.  First, I thought GPIB was a standard protocol.  I do not understand why it has to be a couple of specific brand.  Has anyone tried this combination?  (TIMELAB & Agilent GPIB)

My "Agilent" 82357B from eBay is apparently a clone.  According to folks in business, most of 82357B is a clone.

Secondly, since Prologix GPIB-USB is $149 straight from http://www.prologix.biz, (is this a right source?)  I don't mind buying it.  But am I going to run into similar issues with other software/hardware?
I am entirely new to GPIB.  I can use some guidance, please.