[time-nuts] Noob question, NTP stratum 1.

wildylion wildylion at protonmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:50:51 UTC 2019

Yeah, of course I will NOT do anything home-grown for the datacenter.

But currently it uses 3 Stratum 2 NTP servers, one per DC, with them referencing a list of 4 close-by Stratum 1 sources.

ntpstat generally says that time is correct within ~50 ms, while jitter and offset generally don't exceed 1ms, the root dispersion is quite large.
Also these Stratum 2 NTPs are run from Cisco routers, which I doubt are very good at timekeeping.

When I implemented this scheme, I offered to have S2 on a set of x86 servers, but was overruled by management who said it'll be better if we run S2's off Cisco gear.

So what if we add a couple GPSDO's into the mix, using them as primary time sources alongside public Stratum1 NTP servers for sanity check? And of course moving the S2's to something more stable.

My own, homegrown S1 pool NTP is another matter entirely - I think just a tuned Raspi with a M8N will be enough?