[time-nuts] Most popular NMEA sentence with date and time?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 22 20:50:01 UTC 2019

> I haven't looked at the NMEA docs in a while or three..  What's the most
> widely supported sentence(s) that will give me date and time?

GPRMC is the common one.  The RMC is Recommended Minimum something-or-other.

>From the NTP driver:
 * $GPRMC,hhmmss,a,fddmm.xx,n,dddmmm.xx,w,zz.z,yyy.,ddmmyy,dd,v*CC
Note that it only has 2 digits of year.

The "a" is A for OK and V for not tracking.  Or the reverse, I never remember.

NMEA charges big $$ for their official version of the specs.  The docs for the
chip you are using should have enough info.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.