[time-nuts] Noob question, NTP stratum 1.

Peter Membrey peter at membrey.hk
Tue Jul 23 01:33:41 UTC 2019

Hi guys,

A little late to the party but hopefully someone finds this useful.

As the Raspberry Pi family of IoT devices are so popular and have been used in a host of different research projects to gather data (much of it including timing information), we were curious as to how stable the Raspberry Pi was and whether it was suitable for such work. To understand this better we characterised the main counter on the board (the STC) for all three generations of Pi available at the time. We presented the results at IMC2016 in "Time to measure the Pi" which is available here:

http://crin.eng.uts.edu.au/~darryl/Publications/Pi-hat_current.pdf

We also looked at how well it performed with NTP and also characterised the uBlox M8Q as a potential time source.

The Pi's (especially the latest generation at the time, the Pi 3) did surprisingly well and behaved similarly to what we previously observed in a "big box" machine.

In terms of its suitability as an NTP server, again it held up really well. That said until the Pi 4 (which I am still waiting to get my hands on), the network interface on the Pi goes through an internal USB hub and suffers from significant jitter. I've not sat down and studied it in depth, but initial tests showed occasional spikes well into the millisecond range.

Lastly although the Pi's are impressive given their price point and they can perform well for many use cases, there is a reason why Microsemi sells their solutions for 100x the price. At home or in the office, a Pi3 with a uBlox M8Q (with a good view of the sky) is likely to give you better results than using a random server from the Internet's NTP Pool, but I wouldn't want to bet on it for keeping critical infrastructure in sync (it's not going to do well in holdover situations for example).

Kind Regards,

Peter Membrey