[time-nuts] Is the lifetime of a Rb standard dependent on operating orientations/

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jul 23 15:50:59 UTC 2019

Surface tension keeps the liquid Rb in place in the short term.
In the long term, the Rb has to be designed to have place
where the Rb was concentrated to be at the lowest temperature.
In the HP10816, this place was the "tip-off" for the cell.
We tried to heat sink the tip-off to cool it off.  The big
problem would be if Rb condensed on the cell and blocked
some of the light, causing a frequency error.

Another issue was the "flooded cell" vs the "starved cell".
There is no liquid Rb in the starved cell.  In 2020 hindsight,
we really didn't know what we were doing, and the 5065 designers
were no longer around to coach us.

Rick