[time-nuts] injection locking crystal oscillator

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sat Mar 2 05:37:32 UTC 2019

In the June 1946 issue of "Proceedings of the I.R.E.", Robert Adler published "A Study of Locking Phenomena in Oscillators*. I believe this is the first full study of injection locking. This paper was so important that it was republished in the October 1973 issue of "Proceedings of the IEEE". This paper give the required condition (under a small signal approximation) for injection synchronization as:

(Einj/E)  >  (2 Q) | delta w / w |     (equation 13b)

I can't accurately reproduce this equation in plaintext, but it states that the ratio of the injected voltage to natural oscillator voltage must be greater than twice the product of the circuit Q and the absolute value of the fractional frequency error between the injection frequency and natural oscillator frequency. From this equation it would appear that for a large Q (such as 100,000) the lock range of the injection frequency would be much less than  +/- 5 ppm, since the injection voltage would normally be much less than the natural oscillator voltage. For lower Q circuits a larger lock range would be available as long as the injection voltage wasn't too weak.

Access to the Adler paper from either of the publication dates requires IEEE membership or related credentials, but the principles laid out there are extended in the freely available papers below:

** "A Study of Injection Locking and Pulling in Oscillators" (Behzad Razavi in IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, September 2004) :
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/brweb/papers/Journals/RSep04.pdf

This paper derives in a different manner "Adler's equation" [ equation (28) in the paper ], which describes the behavior of LC oscillators under injection. This should also be applicable to crystal (and other resonator) oscillators.

Section III (Injection Pulling) C (Quasi-lock) describes the behavior when the injection frequency is outside the lock range.

Section IV (Requisite Oscillator Nonlinearity) shows that nonlinear behavior in the oscillator is necessary for injection locking to work.

Section V (Phase Noise) describes the reduction of the phase noise of an oscillator by a low-noise injection source.

Section VI describes the effect of injection pulling on a PLL.

** "Gen-Adler: The Generalized Adler’s Equation for Injection Locking Analysis in Oscillators" (Bhansali and Roychowdhury in IEEE 2009 Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference):
http://potol.eecs.berkeley.edu/~jr/research/PDFs/2009-01-ASPDAC-Bhansali-Roychowdhury-GenAdler.pdf

The second paper listed above uses "Perturbation Projection Vector (PPV)" analysis, which I don't understand. The authors derive a Generalized Adler's equation which is valid for any type of oscillator. Ring oscillators are discussed, and oscillator waveforms are shown when the injection has a sine, square wave, or exponential waveform.

I post this in case anyone wants to use an analytical approach to investigating injection locking.

--
Bill Byrom N5BB