[time-nuts] Smaller, and smaller antennas

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 04:36:36 UTC 2019

On 3/5/19 3:05 PM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Ho, hum, yet another fantastical claim for magical gain from a
> tiny-for-wavelength antenna.
>
> See the many discussions of same by Kurt N. Sterba over the last several
> decades, among many, many others.
>
> The laws of physics are stubborn things....

these don't violate the theoretical limits.. 100 MHz BW at 2.4 GHz is
pretty high Q (240).

What I'm interested in is the internal construction -  lambda at 2.4 GHz
is 122 mm, and these things are 3x3x4mm.  If you tried to dielectrically
load a half wavelength from 61 down to 3mm, that's a factor of 20, which
implies an epsilon of 400.  Clearly, that's not what they're doing.

I'm a bit suspicious about that long feedline in the test fixture.

Johansen has lots of these in various frequencies and sizes
https://www.johansontechnology.com/antennas

Tons of WiFi (2.45 GHz) antennas in all sizes and shapes.

GPS/GLONASS antennas too
https://www.johansontechnology.com/datasheets/1575AT54A0010/1575AT54A0010.pdf
12x4mm