[time-nuts] Portable Time Standard

Joe Hobart nova at npgcable.com
Thu Mar 7 00:46:43 UTC 2019

Hello Petr and others,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have several DS3231 modules running.  I was
able to adjust one to 0.04 PPM fast, which is more than good enough for my
requirement of one second a month (this is at a constant temperature, but these
RTC chips are supposed to be temperature compensated).

I can read and write the DS3231 registers with a Raspberry Pi.  Unfortunately,
the RPi kernel sends time to the RTC every 11 1/2 minutes.  This time is usually
moderately accurate, but I have measured errors of up to 0.264 second, which is
unacceptable.

Does anyone have suggestions for a very low power controller and display for
this RTC integrated circuit?  The DS3231 has a 1 Hz square wave output that
could signal the controller to read and display the time and date from the
DS3231.  The controller could sleep between updates, which would conserve batteries.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,
Joe

By the way, the manufacturer of the high accuracy marine chronometer I was
considering will not send specifications for other than 22 +/- 1 degree C.

These DS3231 modules are a complete clock

---
https://www.avg.com