[time-nuts] Re; Motorola MC68HC11 Crystal (Robert LaJeunesse)

Joe Leikhim jleikhim at leikhim.com
Fri Mar 8 00:33:34 UTC 2019

Thanks Bob, Bob L, and Hugh.

I will look further into the exact specs of this 68HC11. Being this is a
small densely packed portable radio, the circuit foils are very tiny,
the stray capacitance is probably lower than typical design. Good point
on using the div/4 pin to measure the clock and to isolate the pulling
circuit. I will take a spare mother board and make a test jig for the
capacitors. I will have to search for some 15 pf crystals as this is an
unusual package.

I have in past changed these crystals with OEM parts without trouble.
When they fail, by listening with a SW radio, instead of a clean tone
you get what sounds like RTTY which I interpret roughly as "A quick
Brown Fox Wants you To Change the Crystal Now Please". {:^) But now
without a ready supply of qualified OEM parts and the cheap replacements
not working on several radios, I am chasing myself.

--
Joe K4SAT