[time-nuts] PRS-10 Warm-up Time, Calibrating/Adjusting, and long-term poweron

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Mar 8 13:28:35 UTC 2019

Hi

Some of this gets into just what you are trying to do. Cycle to cycle jitter on the
PPS output of most GPS modules is in the “many ns” range. If sawtooth correction
is not being applied, a measurement that is good to an accuracy of 1 ns / 5 = 200 ps
would be plenty good enough. That is a 2x10^-10 (0.2 ppb) sort of accuracy.

If you are looking at longer term effects, you may need better accuracy / lower drift.
You can easily get past what a nice new 5071 can do heading down this road … For
now let’s assume the target above is correct.

The PRS-10 should be within 0.2 ppb within a few minutes after locking up. It should
hold this sort of accuracy “on the shelf / power off” pretty much forever and ever. In fact,
it’s a pretty good bet that it will hold 10X this accuracy for quite a long time. You probably
should warm it up for a day or so if you are after 0.02 ppb.

Calibration wise, the “easy” way to do it depends a lot on what you have to do the measurement.
If you have a TICC (sounds like you do) - use it. You can also use a scope or a more
conventional counter.

If you are going after 0.02 ppb, you would want to set the unit to 0.002 ppb. That gives you
90% of the budget for things like temperature drift and aging. Indeed you might want to go
to a tighter number …. this is Time Nuts after all.

0.002 ppb is 2 ns over 1,000 seconds. It’s 200 ns over 100,000 seconds. (Amazing how that
works :) ). Is your TBolt PPS good to 2 ns? Probably not. Is it good to 200 ns? most certainly.
Since 100,000 seconds is just over a day, that makes for a fairly easy adjustment process.
Look at it once a day and tweak it. After a while it will not need tweaks any more.

The advantage of a “long term” adjustment like this is that it also takes in the temperature
swings in your lab over a one day period. At the 0.002 ppb level, they will be the dominant
part of what you see. Will you get to the 0.002 ppb level? It depends a lot on just how stable
your particular unit is and how drafty your lab is.

Running any sort of electronics gear 24 hours a day is a risk. It may wear out, it may cause
a fire, it may be fine … who knows. It also pulls power and you pay the electric company for that.
It’s generally cheaper / safer to turn stuff off if it is only going to be used rarely.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob