[time-nuts] Li Ion Battery for HP 5065A

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Mar 8 13:38:59 UTC 2019

Hi

If you are headed into a “cost is no object” sort of battery backup bank for the lab / shelter / cave
there are some interesting options out there. The RV world is very slowly waking up to the fact that
big heavy lead acid batteries may not be ideal. For a ghastly amount of money, you can now get
12V 100AH “drop in” (no they are not drop in) Lithiums with fully integrated BMS systems in them.
They *appear* to be safe and come with cute things like 10 year warranties . Be aware that you
can buy a nice 5065 on eBay for what a couple of them will set you back …..

In return for your massive cash outlay, you get a battery that does not outgas or have the need
to be watered along with the plants. It has a much flatter discharge voltage curve than a lead acid.
Their peak current vs voltage generally is better than a lead acid. The BMS may impact this if it
is an issue in your setup. They also is a *lot* lighter / smaller for the same amount of useful
capacity. The built in BMS *should* take care of all of the fiddly little issues that might burn the
house down. Lots to like other than the absolutely giant hole in the wallet ….

Bob