[time-nuts] PRS-10 Warm-up Time, Calibrating/Adjusting, and long-term poweron

JF PICARD jfphp at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 17:32:41 UTC 2019

A PRS10 with a long shelf life will need more than 10 months (not days !) to get its final drift. Its dépends of the homogeneity of the gas mixture (Rb85,87 and krypton) in the cell and a long non running time affects the mixture. After the end of this warm up period,  adjustement is time consuming as the drift is parabolic and the top of the parabole tends to flatten with the successive adjustements. You can get 1 or 2 x 10^-11 and the retrace  is in order of this magnitude after a couple of days without power. At this magnitude of adjustement you have to look at the barometric pressure to avoid false adjustements but the effect is little compared with the 5065A whose tube is much bigger (and with less noise...). The 5065A is a very good barometer but a little bit costly..