[time-nuts] Helium leaks

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Mar 9 01:59:09 UTC 2019

Hi Jim:

When I was working in Semiconductors we used a fluorocarbon liquid in a heated fish tank first.  If bubbles come out you
have a "gross" leak.  After that we put a whole bunch of parts in a 5 gallon paint pot and pressurized it with He and
let them soak.  Then a small number of parts were put into the Veeco He leak tester and it was pumped down to a vacuum
and we looked for leaks.

The problems are:
1. The first fluorocarbon test is very important since a gross (very large hole) will pass the He leak test.  Think of a
small can with no lid at all.
2. A leak may be small enough to pass the fluorocarbon test yet be big enough so that by the time it gets put into the
leak tester and the pump has had time to pull a vacuum, it's been emptied.  i.e. it passes both tests but is really a
very leaky part.

If your CSAC parts were leak tested I expect they used the above procedure, but with some added details such as the
exact fluorocarbon, it's temperature, time observed for bubbles, pressure in the paint pot, soak time, maximum time
between depressurizing the paint pot and active He leak detection is working.  You might ask for the leak test procedure
they used.

AFAICR all of the parts I worked with were sealed in the clean room atmosphere.  I don't remember sealing under Nitrogen
or some other atmosphere.  So the pressure after sealing will be near the clear room pressure at the time of seal.
Maybe more different if the sealing process heats the part.

It would be interesting to try testing a CASC in a pressurized He environment.  But the result for a hermetic unit would
be no effect. For a "Gross" leak or one of the above very leaky parts you would see something if this He problem is
real.  To check that you might be able to get a leak test reject that's leaky.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
https://www.PRC68.com
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.