[time-nuts] PRS-10 Warm-up Time, Calibrating/Adjusting, and long-term poweron

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 03:28:06 UTC 2019

We have operated  about 40 PRS10s over the past 20 years or so. These are
all run continuously in benign environments and monitored via GPS
time-transfer . Some have died after just over a year; others have operated
for more than 12 years. A new one generally takes a few months to burn in,
before its frequency drift stabilises to something like the specifications.
They do not behave very predictably, showing sudden changes in frequency
and so on. One exhibited frequent steps for a few years and then the
problem went away. Trying to predict what they would do at the level of
better than a few parts in 10^11 seems difficult.

 Cheers
Michael