[time-nuts] Accuracy/drift of Garmin GPS 16 HVS 1 PPS output under invalid fix conditions...

Steve Olney t0502 at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 11 20:44:21 UTC 2019

Hi Bob,

On 12/03/2019 12:19 am, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> I doubt you will find this sort of information in any spec sheet on a basic GPS. The only practical
> answer is going to be “try it and see”.

Yes - agreed. I was hoping someone would have tried it already on the
GPS 16 HVS unit as has been done for a different unit...

https://blog.dan.drown.org/navspark-timer-drift-2/

...which returns about 0.1 ms drift in phase over 15 minutes.

I'll do a test as suggested elsewhere between a locked GPS and one which
is in invalid fix condition.

> If this is for some sort of large scale system, that may not
> be the right way to do it……

No - it's not a large scale system.  I want to time-stamp my Vela pulsar
data.   Just recently I detected a glitch in the pulsar (the first
amateur radio astronomer to ever do so with any pulsar AFAIK)...

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=12466

The professional guys were impressed with my data, but slightly
disappointed it didn't have accurate time-stamping. I am working to
rectify that for the next glitch.

Cheers

Steve

HawkRAO