[time-nuts] Accuracy/drift of Garmin GPS 16 HVS 1 PPS output under invalid fix conditions...

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 12 16:40:08 UTC 2019

Hi

The spec sheet from Garmin states that the “time output is only correct when there is a GPS lock” (or something
close to that).  I doubt that comes as a surprise. That strongly suggests that holdover was *not* a feature they
worried about on the design. Without an intentional “design in”, holdover likely is highly variable. The ~ 1ppm
stability required might happen by chance this time / in this environment  and not happen next time / in that
environment. Your unit might do one thing, my unit (if I had one) could easily do something radically different.

The 1 us accuracy stated in the spec sheet is what you normally see on crystal (as opposed to TCXO) based
GPS units.  Again another indication that holdover (at the level you are looking for) could be a problem. The
much looser temperature stability of the XO could mess things up a lot.

I’m not saying that the device will not work at the level you are looking for, only that I would be a bit surprised if it does.
I’m simply trying to read the tea leaves after working with these sort of devices for the past few decades. There
is not much to go on, so I am very much guessing. There’s not much here to trust so you are left with verify ….

I think that’s about as close to a “helpful” answer as any of us have (Yes, I realize it simply suggests you are unlikely
to get there with the unit you have ….. thus not exactly helpful …. sorry about that). It also is suggesting that if
you do test it, it’s likely to vary a bit. You probably should run several tests if this is important.

Bob