[time-nuts] statistical distribution of initial frequency error in tcxos

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Mar 13 16:17:40 UTC 2019

Hoi Jim,

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 08:39:24 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> For instance, if I'm buying 10MHz oscillators with a spec of 5ppm,
> they'll all fall in a band +/- 50 Hz.  But how many are within 1 Hz?
> within 0.1Hz?

I have never measured TCXOs, but I've seen data of other devices
that are adjusted at the manufacturer. What you end up with is
something between a uniform distribution and truncated Gauss.
It is also very likely that most are withing 1ppm or even less,
depending on how much margin the manufacturer put into the spec.
Aging and environment will spread the values in a Gauss like fashion
(think of a (anomalous) diffusion process).

Would it be rude to ask for more details on what you are planing to do?
It sounds interesting.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.
                 -- Miss Matheson, The Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson