[time-nuts] statistical distribution of initial frequency error in tcxos

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Wed Mar 13 21:28:35 UTC 2019

Hi Jim,

If you have a mother-ship and presuming that it is going to be within
"RF" range of all little ones, how about sending a "PILOT" tone that
comes from the mother-ship to phase lock all the little ones internal
oscillators ???

If there is a master oscillator of any note (i.e., say a Rb unit) in the
mother-ship, then a reasonably decent XO circuit may suffice or a TCXO.
As for ranging with the signal using phase locking, well I would have to
think about that for a bit.

This process was used back in the 1970's to lock the master frequency
source of a few repeaters together so that they could simultaneously
transmit on the same frequency with little to no interference.  In this
case, if I recall correctly, a 1000 Hz pilot tone was used as the sync
signal.

In your case you could, perhaps, transmit on some frequency that is out
of the way and use whatever pilot tone you wish.  Depending upon the
transmitter bandwidth maybe even transmit a 10 MHz sideband and do
direct comparison to the local (TC)XO.  Many possibilities !!!

Bill....WB6BNQ