[time-nuts] Examples of noise processes

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 15 16:42:06 UTC 2019

On 3/15/19 7:03 AM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Hi --
>
> For a presentation on basic time-nuttery, I'd like to find
> non-oscillator examples of the various noise processes -- white PM,
> flicker PM, white FM, flicker FM, random walk.  (I'm not sure if FM and
> PM have any relevance outside oscillators, though.)

You're looking for random statistical processes that have the right
power law?

What about brownian motion? 1/f^2

1/f (pink noise) occurs in lots of natural systems - for non oscillator
(heart rates have 1/f, but they're oscillators, right) - individual
neuron firing rates often show a 1/f characteristic.

Thermal noise is white

Financial systems (i.e. stock prices) often have power law variations
from transaction to transaction or in aggregate.