[time-nuts] Distribution amplifier for 10MHz and 1 pps

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 18 12:55:45 UTC 2019

Hi

CMOS is what you want rather than TTL in this day and age. Propagation delay and jitter are
both much better than any of the TTL families.

NC7SZ125:

Prop delay 2.6 ns
Output high 50 ma max 32 ma rated
Output low 50 ma max 32 ma rated
(rated = ~0.5V off rail at 4.5V supply)

74S140

Prop delay 6 ns
Output high 10 ma
Output low 24 ma

74AC04

Prop delay 1 to 10 ns (call it 5 ns)
Output +/- 50 ma max, +/- 24 ma rated

(all above are ok on 5V)

and we could go on and on and on…..

Anytime you do this, you run into odd things on spec sheets so comparisons are never perfect.
I would run things at as high a voltage as possible without creating smoke. The chips are normally
faster and quieter at the higher voltage. ( = you can see a phase noise improvement going from
5.0 to 5.5V …).

I would go with a “simple” gate rather than a Schmitt trigger. Phase noise on the simple gates
has measured lower each time I’ve checked them. Having the switch points at different levels
also tends to mess up duty cycle just a bit. (Good luck measuring that with fast edges …..).

Bob