[time-nuts] Accuracy/drift of Garmin GPS 16 HVS 1 PPS output under invalid fix conditions...

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 13 13:22:49 UTC 2019

Hi

> On Mar 13, 2019, at 6:41 AM, Steve Olney <t0502 at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> On 13/03/2019 5:10 pm, Tim Lister wrote:
>> Hi Steve, let me first off say that what your doing is very
>> impressive;
>
> Likewise - what you guys are doing time-wise is very impressive.
>
> I think the level of precision you guys are aiming for is massive over-kill for my application.   Holding +/- 1 us over 15 minutes would be a doddle by many means as has been mentioned by you guys.  I just wanted to know whether the basic GPS mouse PPS would stay accurate enough to do the job for my application.
>
> Radio astronomy is a hobby - i.e., a source of fun - although I do strive to maintain a level of scientific rigour to the best of my abilities.  One of the key drivers of the fun is doing things with simple systems.   I get extra pleasure in using a $20 DBTV dongle as my pulsar receiver to achieve the detection of a pulsar glitch (AFAIK the first time an amateur has ever done so on any pulsar).   You can pay up to $8,000 or so for the best SDRs. Hence, while more sensible/serious people might go the way of playing with more complex systems I am motivated to do it with as simple/basic a system as possible.   Granted, this approach does not always work - but when it does it greatly enhances the fun factor for me.
>
> So - if I don't seem to be following the 'sensible' path you would probably be right ;-)
>
> BTW - I have just had one of those wacky ideas pop into my head which has the potential to simplify things for my particular application.  I will evaluate it in the next week or so.

All I’ve been trying to do is to suggest cheap / wacky ways around the problem …. let us know how yours works out.

There is *never* a single answer to a real systems problem. There's only. a whole bunch of alternatives. Most of them cost
too much (in time, money, support, reliability, size, power, weight …), but those are the ones that usually pop up first.
Sorting things out is never easy.

Bob