[time-nuts] Yet another GPSDO project.

Tobias Pluess tobias.pluess at xwmail.ch
Wed Mar 20 19:57:02 UTC 2019

Hi Bernd,

awesome that you still remember this :-)
sure, I believe you since my primary requirement was phase noise. This is because I'd like to use the OCXO as reference for my spectrum analyzer and also for my HP 8663 signal generator to do phase noise measurements - the signal generator can be improved quite a bit if a proper external reference is used, compared to its internal OCXO! (a HP 10811A)

What you mention is very interesting: you said " As it is from an older production lot, the aging may meanwhile be much lower than specified." does this mean that the aging of an OCXO does improve, even if the OCXO is unpowered in its box?

Do you think the stability of the OCXO improves a bit if I use some thermal isolation, as I did in my GPSDO, or is it (as Achim points out) perhaps contraproductive.

I'll contact you off list for the measurement - indeed this woud be awesome, and if you can offer me an even more stable OCXO this would be fantastic!

Best
Tobias
HB9FSX