[time-nuts] inexpensive fiber optic distribution

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 05:48:39 UTC 2019

We've tinkered with SFP-to-SMA adapter boards like this:
https://github.com/aewallin/SFP2SMA_2018.03
http://www.anderswallin.net/2018/04/500-mhz-sfp-board-v4/

although designed for 1 Gbit (1.25 GHz, or 800 ps 'bits') they work down to
10 MHz (and 5 MHz IIRC).
With a decent interface-board and a short bit of fiber the ADEV noise floor
is very close to what is measurable with a 3120A (aka TimePod).
IIRC a rough rule-of-thumb is that the fiber can add around 1e-16/meter. So
add 1km of fibre and you can expect fluctuations at 1e-13 level - roughly...

AW