[time-nuts] reply re Harrison's timing method - #13 in Vol 176, Issue 44 digest

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 23:27:44 UTC 2019

It must be a sign of the dedication that Harrison applied to his work.
It is not as simple as the description first appears, this is England,
and the method presupposes that there are no clouds. It might be a week
or two before two nights occurred, when an unclouded night was followed
by another night within several days that was not clouded.
Similarly, with the longitude method, stars must be visible within a
short period of dawn or dusk, when the horizon is visible together with
the star. Sun sights are not so difficult.
GPS makes is so easy for us!
cheers,

Neville Michie