[time-nuts] Yet another GPSDO project.

Tobias Pluess tobias.pluess at xwmail.ch
Wed Mar 27 21:24:54 UTC 2019

By the way, I just did some more testing on stability.

I once tried to use the internal PLL of the microcontroller to boost the OCXO frequency to the max. 72 MHz which my microcontroller accepts. While this would greatly increase the frequency measurement resolution, it decreased stability because it appeared that the PLL had some frequency modulation at its output.
I just tested different PLL multiplication factors, and according to my tests, the stability of the PLL improves quite a bit if a power of 2 multiplication factor is used, e.g. if the OCXO's 10MHz are multiplied to 20 MHz or to 40 MHz.
So I let my GPSDO run with the PLL enabled and configured for 40 MHz, which increases the resolution by four. Then I compared the 10 MHz outputs of my two GPSDOs on the 'scope and made a time lapse video with my GoPro camera, which shows how the frequencies drift around.
The video covers around 2 hours with one picture taken every 10 seconds.

https://hb9fsx.ch/wordpress/index.php/2019/03/25/gpsdo-testing/

IMHO I have now a drift of max. 100ns in 2 hours, which gives a stability of 13.9e-12, right?

Tobias