[time-nuts] 4.19 MHz xtal

Matthew D'Asaro medasaro at mit.edu
Sun Mar 31 22:31:56 UTC 2019

Easy. 2^22 is 4194304. This means that a crystal of that frequency connected to a chain of 22 flip-flops will produce one pulse per second. More modern Quartz clocks are based on 32768Hz crystals which is 2^15Hz. The reason for the change is that such low frequency crystals require a tuning-fork type construction that until recently was not as easy to produce accurately as an AT cut crystal, but AT cut crystals only work down to about 1MHz.

Matthew

Sent from Matthew D'Asaro's iPhone