[time-nuts] 4.19 MHz xtal

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Mar 31 23:17:03 UTC 2019

Hi

Simple answer is that it likely is an AT cut crystal. You can get a 1 ppm-ish sort of stability over
0 to 50 C out of an AT. The 32 KHz crystal you sort of expect to see likely has a couple hundred
ppm-ish stability over the same temperature range.

32 KHz crystal have been the norm in “quartz” watches and clocks pretty much from their modern
origin in the early 1970’s. Before that crystal based clocks did exist, but not using the same sort of
low power / small size / low cost approach we now accept as the norm. You can fine “precision crystal
based clocks” going back at least into the 1930’s. They just didn’t do it the same way.

Bob