[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed May 1 00:48:39 UTC 2019

Hi

For a variety of reasons, a puck antenna is a bad choice for a lab timing receiver.
Because the ground plane (and other issues like feed line) are a variable, getting a
good pattern is a matter of luck. Multipath ( = low angle) rejection is rarely going to
work well with them. They also are not really good at standing up to years and years
of exposure outdoors.

Since “real” antennas are a sub $20 sort of thing at L1 and sub $70 at L1/L2 … why
bother with the minor leagues? Get something that does the job properly and use
that.

No matter what you do, (survey or timing) multipath is what gets you. Rejecting it
is what you design the antenna for. Stuff that is properly polarized, you keep. Stuff
that is not properly polarized you strongly reject. Very low angle stuff (especially below
zero degrees) you strongly reject. Your typical ground plane acts as a knife edge at low
angles to “help” below zero degree stuff …. not good.

Indeed some light weight antennas take off into spurious oscillation land under this or
that condition. When they do nothing works well. The answer there is to get another
antenna. We’re talking the price of a case of beer ….

Bob