[time-nuts] Quartz resonator aging - Vacuum backfill and getters

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue May 7 21:23:10 UTC 2019

Hi

Helium is still a pretty good thermal conductor at low pressures. The reason
you backfill is thermal. Neon (or other heavy atom gasses) are relatively poor
thermal conductors.

Getters are wonderful as long as they don’t outgas. Turns out that is not as
simple a thing to “fix” as you might think. They tend to have an affinity for this
or for that, but spew out something else.

One “solution” to the problem is to activate the metal wall of the holder so that
it acts as a getter. You already have to deal with whatever it might spew ….

Bob