[time-nuts] Updating the unit of,time: the second.

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Mon May 27 16:22:38 UTC 2019

 Well I have enjoyed time and frequency measurement for many years.  I have no equipment (nor do I expect to get any) that can tell the difference between the current second and the proposed standard.  And at one point I asked if there was a limit on the smallest time interval that could be discerned.
I do remember being impressed with the Collins gear in the 1950s, and wanting one of those 7 foot racks of time standards made by General Radio, the one with the big clock on top.
As the years passed I obtained more and more accurate frequency measurement equipment, including a home made heterodyne frequency meter that outdid the Collins radios.  Then the lousy radio propagation ended my dependence on WWV and I luckily obtained a rubidium oscillator.
But that's about as far as I want to go.  My HP 8657B resolves 1 Hz at more than 2 GHz and it can be set to within a very small error with respect to the rubidium standard.  At this point I see no reason to improve my time and frequency measurement accuracy.
Of course it can be an end in itself, hence the name Time Nuts.  So I propose the question, how many out there have interest in this topic for academic and psychological reasons, and how many actually have a concrete reason to be this precise?  One part per billion isn't a lot.  And some systems require iron clad synchronism such as space exploration and long range communication.  But the average tinkerer probably doesn't need it.
Bob