[time-nuts] LeoNTP PPS output to PC DB9 input

Anthony Dunne agdunne at hotmail.com
Wed May 29 03:28:01 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone

I am hoping one of you may be able to help with a specific problem?

Some time ago, I purchased the excellent LeoNTP time server available here:- https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_70&product_id=92

It serves network time via NTP over Ethernet primarily but it also has PPS/1Mhz/10Mhz via a female BNC connector on the rear.

I would like to connect the BNC output to a DB9 Serial input (female) on a machine running FreeBSD (pfSense) to provide PPS reference/accuracy to the NTPD running there.

Firstly would this work?

Secondly, my dilemma is the pin-out.

I believe on the DB9 pin 1 is DCD (the actual pulse) and pin 5 is the ground. Is this correct?

Could I use a cable such as this:- http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/eng_drawings/CTL4CAD.pdf

even though pin five is not connected or would I need to use something like this:- http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/eng_drawings/CTL5CAD.pdf

and make sure the pin 5/plug 5 is grounded in some way?

Alternatively, is there a simpler way to achieve the goal?

Sorry if this is vague but I would really appreciate some help on this :)

Thank-you in advance

Anthony
New South Wales
Australia