[time-nuts] Updating the unit of,time: the second.

Ole Petter Rønningen opronningen at gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:32:04 UTC 2019

As supporting material; BIPM is considering when a redefinition would be appropriate: https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/CGPM-2018/CGPM-2018-Time-2-LD.pdf

And
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/CCTF-strategy-document.pdf annex 1 (and a few other places)

Extract:
The time for a new definition is right when ...

1. ... at least three different optical clocks (either in different laboratories, or of different species) have demonstrated validated uncertainties of about two orders of magnitude better than the best Cs atomic clocks at that time.

2. ... at least three independent measurements of at least one optical clock of milestone 1 were compared in different institutes (e.g. Df/f < 5 x 10-18) either by transportable clocks, advanced links, or frequency ratio closures.

3. ... there are three independent measurements of the optical frequency standards listed in milestone 1 with three independent Cs primary clocks, where the measurements are limited essentially by the uncertainty of these Cs fountain
clocks (e.g. Df/f< 3 x 10-16).

4. ... optical clocks (secondary representations of the second) contribute regularly to TAI.

5. ... optical frequency ratios between a few (at least 5) other optical frequency standards have been performed; each ratio measured at least twice by independent laboratories and agreement was found (with e.g. Df/f < 5x10-18).

Br,
Ole