[time-nuts] Question for my new GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 3 14:37:45 UTC 2019

Hi

Stepping back a bit here …..

All oscillators have phase noise. It’s going to vary with the offset from carrier.
What you get at 10KHz will be much better than what you get at 1Hz. As long
as the EFC does not make this any worse, there is no need to get very crazy.
Putting the added noise 40 db below the intrinsic noise vs “only 6 db” will make
no measurable difference.

There are a lot of ways to come up with a phase noise estimate for an oscillator.
Measuring the device you have is one way. Looking at the spec sheet for that
oscillator is also a pretty good way. Even looking at multiple spec sheets for similar
oscillators will give you a reasonable idea of what is probably going on.

A tone on the EFC line will generate FM (as opposed to PM) noise. In the full
blown case you get multiple sidebands. For a noise voltage, the first sideband
should be all that matters. The key point is that there is a 1/F relation between FM
and PM noise. Effectively you get a lowpass filter for free.

The more sensitive the EFC is, the more modulation you get from a specific level.
Just as with drift from the reference, lower sensitivity is better in this case.

Most real oscillators have some lowpass filtering in them as part of the basic
circuit design. Just what point this is at may be very hard to determine. It’s usually
a good guess that modulating an OCXO at kilohertz rates is not going to work very
well :)

So there are a lot of variables to look at before one ever starts wondering about
lowpass filters. Understanding the components comes first. Past that it’s looking up
various formulas and playing a bit with spread sheets.

Bob