[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi 4B Ethernet delay

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Fri Nov 8 17:43:57 UTC 2019

David J Taylor via time-nuts writes:
> I did some very simple tests to see how the RPi 4B with its better
> Ethernet connection compared with the earlier model B (rather old!).
> My test configuration isn't good, as there are a couple of switches
> between the two RPi cards and the monitoring PC:
>
>  https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/BBB-vs-RPi.html#update
>
> but the summary is:  the model B reports 0.464 ms mean delay, and the
> model 4B reports 0.254 ms, so 0.21 ms better.

FWIW, that's roughly the same latency I see for a TinkerBoard running
the ethernet interface at 100MBit/s and the buffering window reduced to
0.67µs.  The latency would be somewhat lower with the interface run at
1GBit/s, slightly below 200µs IIRC.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: