[time-nuts] Confusion over Thunderbolt - noob is going crazy

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 15 14:16:33 UTC 2019

Hi

“Thunderbolt” is the name Trimble uses for their line of GPSDO’s. They have used it for
almost 30 years. They have had at least a dozen different models within their line of GPSDO’s.

Back about ten to fifteen years ago, a 911 location system started to be scrapped out. It was being
replaced by newer / better / whatever systems. That location system happened to use a slightly
customized version of one of the Trimble GPSDO’s. Like all the rest, it was called a Thunderbolt.
They hit the market in large volume and prices dropped. Also some nice people actually did some
work on group buys to help sort things out. All of that got a lot of attention focused on them.

Indeed after some poking at them, some turned out to be a bit better than others. Units with date
codes past about 2005 or so have better OCXO’s in them than units before about 2000. In-between
those dates, the OCXO’s got progressively better. Firmware wise, things got updated over the years.
At some point the temperature sensor IC’s went a bit sideways and the temperature readout suffered.

The China reclamation process is not kind to gear. It often sits out in the rain for quite a while. That
does not do the gear any good. The level of “testing” done by any of the sellers is superficial at best.
Even “back in the good old days” one might find one in five units with a problem. Indeed, it’s quite possible
that after sitting in a dusty corner of the basement, some previously good units now have issues.
Stuff happens.

The unit that gets all the press has two BNC connectors and an F connector  out one end and a 9 pin
serial port. There is a power connector coming out the top of the unit. It is about an inch thick. The
enclosure is not painted on most units.

If the cover is on the unit, there is no way to see what’s on the PC board. A “real” unit comes with the
cover / enclosure. The only easily read label on the PC board is the label that shipped on the OCXO
when it went out to Trimble. The red “Piezo” labels are early OCXO’s. The later OCXO’s have slightly
off white labels on them.

If you get a unit with a problem, there are no schematics. There also are no firmware images. There is
information on replacing the temperature sensor IC and on replacing the RS-232 driver chip. They are
the “original” unit that worked with LH so support there is very good.

Performance wise they are good units, but hardly unique. There are a lot of devices out there that
perform worse. A properly designed Rb based unit would beat them in most respects.

Bob