[time-nuts] 90ms delay of time signal on phase-modulated carrier of BBC 198KHz transmission in the UK (was: DST change on DCF77)

Peter Vince petervince1952 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 11:35:51 UTC 2019

As I mentioned in a previous message about observed anomalies with the DST
change on DCF77, Pieter-Tjerk in the Netherlands noted that the time
encoded on the phase-modulated carrier of the BBC's 198KHz signal in the UK
was about 900 milliseconds early.  Having queried that with a contact in
the BBC, a problem was found and corrected, but Pieter-Tjerk reports the
signal is now about 90 milliseconds late.  A further query with my contact
reveals that this is to be expected.  The signal to be phase-modulated is
assembled at our Crystal Palace transmitter is south-east London, and then
sent (over fibres) to Droitwich in the midlands, and Westerglen and
Burghead in Scotland.  Coding and decoding delays on that transmission path
result in the observed delay.  No compensation is attempted, as the result
is perfectly adequate for the intended use - controlling off-peak
electricity time switches.  I hope this info is of interest to our European
members.

Peter