[time-nuts] tracking position & orientation

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Nov 22 07:36:16 UTC 2019

eric at scace.org said:
>    I moved to Boulder CO a few months ago. The “curiosity” is to determine
> the position of two antennas at either end of my house and monitor it over
> time, with the idea that one could see plate movement in 3 dimensions plus
> rotation around the axes.

How much does Boulder move?  I'd guess not much so measuring motion will be
tough.  You could try to get a lower limit on the speed.

Looks like that part of the country is not interesting to the USGS:
  https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/gps

Ballpark numbers.
  With a good setup, GPS gives location to about 1 mm.
  I live a few miles from the San Andreas fault system.  It is shifting about
as fast as your fingernails grow, roughly an inch per year.

Measuring rotation will be tough if your 2 stations are only 100 ft apart.  Do
you have a friend 1, 10, or 100 miles away?

PS: Make sure that your antenna mounts are sturdy.  You don't want them
drifting as the house ages or you bump into them.

----------

There is a major USGS campus on the Boulder side of Denver.  You might wander
down there and ask around to see if you can find anybody familiar with either
GPS or earthquakes.  Or try their web pages.  There is probably a public
information contact.

>From a USGS talk tonight on Sea Level Rise.
  California is rising about 2 mm per year.  Sea level is rising about 3 mm
per year.  Net is 1.
  East coast is sinking about 3 mm per year.
  (Major risk is surge and waves from hurricanes.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.