[time-nuts] tracking position & orientation

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 22 14:47:56 UTC 2019

Hi

At least right now, it is the “king of the hill” in terms of low cost modules that
will do L1 / L2.

If the target application is precision survey work, you do want (at least) dual
band reception. All of the post processing outfits are looking for that sort of data.

I do not know of any free sites that will post process “L1 only” data. Without
post processing, you will not get mm level results.

Indeed with any of these numbers you can wonder what the errors might really
be. If the claim is 5 mm, could it really be 8 mm? sure it could. If I average L1
data for a few days and think I’m at 500 mm could I really be over 800 mm off?
Yes, and I do have data on that.

If you are after things like continental drift or wander of a post in the ground,
you are after mm level numbers.

Bob