[time-nuts] Are minutes more important in astronomy than seconds and hours ?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Nov 23 14:31:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

On a related note, some trivia that might be of interest.

The master pendelum clocks is still in their basement in Observatoire
Royal de Belgique, I've seen them. They have their dedicated
heating-system to help control the temperature, ovenizing the whole
basement building (the clocks are in a separate house within the
basement room.

Similarly the pendelum clocks of Observatoire de Besançon is still
there, except for one which is taken out, restored and in the museum.
The buildings there have a 3 m deep ditch around the buildings, so that
ground movements does not disturb observations, but the clocks are
deeper down into two separate rooms, so their temperature variations are
stabilized to some degree that way.

It's fun to see these things, many times things is still there and maybe
not operational, but for sure part of the history.

Cheers,
Magnus