[time-nuts] Effects on GPS antenna performance due to installation proximity of second antenna

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 13:17:58 UTC 2019

On 11/23/19 5:23 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> Most of what you see suggests > 10’ / 3M between GPS antennas. They seem to be concerned about
> a variety of things. Exactly how those concerns translates into the magic distance has always been a
> bit obscure.

3m/10 ft is "round number phenomenon".

For identical receivers, there's always the issue of LO leakage back
through the antenna, and into the other receiver.  The LOs/clocks aren't
going to be exactly the same (the crystals are probably 1ppm or
something like that), so you wind up with a 1kHz tone on top of your PN
code.

I suppose the same is generically true of any receivers.  I have
experienced this both with disparate and identical receivers, back in
1993 with handheld receivers (Trimble, Magellan) side by side, and newer
ublox NEO-7