[time-nuts] A simple sampling DMTD

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 27 17:48:11 UTC 2019

Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 184, Issue 35
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:00:02 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
--------------------------------

http://www.lartmaker.nl/time-nuts/PSD%20of%20measured%20ZCD%20period%20with%20PLL%20active.pdf

http://www.lartmaker.nl/time-nuts/PSD%20of%20HP10811%20into%20the%20LTC2140%20with%20PLL%20active.pdf

http://www.lartmaker.nl/time-nuts/DMTD%20self-noise%20OADEV%20with%20PLL%20and%20various%20filters.pdf

http://www.lartmaker.nl/time-nuts/600ksec%20run%20with%20PLL,%2010811%20through%20splitter.png
> . OADEV past ~1000sec is severely compromised by the fact that the
> measurement setup is in my home lab which sees temperature swings of up to
> 20 degrees C and which does get bumped from time to time. Longer runs in a
> more controlled setting forthcoming).

In the radar world, the standard solution to the leakthrough problem is
to batch the data and apply a windowing function to the data in each
batch.  Typically, the batches overlap such that every sample appears
in two batches.  The window functions largely eliminate the splice
error due to the FFT, which is fact splices each batch into a circle,
causing a discontinuity at the splice.  If the window function is very
small at the splice, there is little discontinuity power sprayed into
innocent FFT bins.

In radar, Taylor windows are used, as well as Dolph-Chebyshev if very
low sidelobes are needed.

.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_function#Dolph%E2%80%93Chebyshev_window>

Taylor is mentioned in the above D-C description, and a link is
provided.

Joe Gwinn